Sunday, March 2, 2008

Club Mafia Manila

Orosa Courtyard, M. Orosa cor. J. Nakpil Sts., Malate, Manila

It's nice to know that the monopoly on the gay club scene is slowly and successfully being challenged. After Bed and Club Government comes Club Mafia Manila, which took over the location of The Rainbow Project (right beside Bed!). Aiko Melendez is apparently part-owner of the club. I don't know if she knows that part of the marketing strategy is to cater it to the gay population. But maybe she knows.

It looks like Bed and Government, interior-wise. But the drinks, I think, are more expensive. They charge you a door charge of 200 pesos after 12mn. And they also have go-go boys. One of the go-go boys was cute (the leaner one)... which reminds me of... the masseur... at Asian Massage. haha.

They have a "weird" mix of music. It's like a Confused House R&B Fiesta. But nevertheless, it's danceable. The people don't dance though. And they gawk at you like they've never seen a gay couple before.

The thing with Malate is that people gawk. Or stare. Especially at that corner bar (O Bar) on Orosa and Nakpil. I'm sure it's harmless flirting. But they didn't have to be that obvious.

Anyway, would I recommend Club Mafia? For the experience, yes. It needs some more time though. I don't know exactly how I feel about knowing that Aiko Melendez partly owns it. I feel... uhm... cheap? Anyway, just go there and experience the place. It's not half bad. But I'm sticking to Club Government. The people look better there anyway.

No comments: