Sunday, March 30, 2008

More J.P.: J.P. on the cover of Instinct March 2008



Well, wadya know! J.P. is on the cover of Instinct this month and then have a followup interview on him one year after he came out.

Evolution Of A Model Man - J.P. Calderon
Written by Mike Wood - Photos by Peter Brown
Saturday, 01 March 2008

J.P. CALDERON came out in a big way last year. And while his life may be different now—from his weight loss to his new boyfriend—he says he’s still the same guy…only better

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

This old adage came to mind pretty quickly when I sat down with J.P. Calderon for this month’s cover story interview. When we met one year ago at this very same restaurant J.P. was, as he is today, confident and handsome, but back then he was also a tad more nervous, a little bit pensive, more than a few pounds heavier and…oh yeah, about to come out to the world with the help of this magazine and one Ms. Janice Dickinson.

Now J.P.’s out and open about who he is, where he came from and how’s he gotten to where he is today. This makes our conversation easier. He’s more relaxed, less careful about how he words things. We know each other better now, and more importantly J.P. knows himself much better, too.

“I’m changed,” he says with a smile. “My perception has changed. I didn’t give people credit—those closest to me and beyond. But I’m still the same guy. At least, I like to think I am.” On the flip side, he laughs and says, “But, yeah, I’m different, too. Last time we were here, I barely touched my food! Now, here I am scarfing down my pasta!”

The subject of one’s sexuality is never an easy one to broach, but it was particularly difficult for J.P. when we met one year ago because he wasn’t confiding in a brother, a parent or a close friend. He was laying it all on the line for everyone to hear.

“I did it for myself to begin with, but once I [came out], I started getting all these letters and e-mails and MySpace messages and…it’s just been so wonderful and humbling for me,” J.P. explains.

I ask him if he feels like a spokesperson for the gay community now.

“Yes, I do,” he says. “And the reason I do, is because I did it the way I did it. I feel like I’m on a mission now.”

With the outpouring from the community and the letters I’ve read myself here in the Instinct office, it’s clear J.P.’s story struck a chord with many across all boundaries: gay, straight, male, female, moms and dads from around the country who wrote to tell us how proud they were of J.P. for telling his story and how J.P.’s openeness had helped their relationships. That’s called impact. Knowing this, I throw out the words “role model” for J.P. to chew on in between his bites of pasta.

“I’m a role model, I guess. But I don’t want to be a perfect role model,” J.P. says. “I love to go out and have a good time. I do drink. Sometimes I do get drunk, and sometimes I do crazy or wild things. And sometimes I do the wrong things and make bad decisions. But we all do, and I think we have to be okay with that.”

We’re interrupted now by a once-shy female fan I’ve noticed has been conspicuously watching us (or rather J.P.) from across the room. She’s tentative at first, afraid to interrupt our dinner, but J.P. encourages her to say “hello” with a friendly, come-hither wave of his hand. Soon this straight, female fan is joined by an entourage of men. “Thank you,” they sing over each other. “Love your story. Love you!” The accolades spill from their mouths as I oblige to take a couple of group photos for these out-of-town visitors.

As much as J.P. seems like the same regular, nice guy I met a year ago, things have clearly changed. I’m dealing with a celebrity on some level today.


WAITING FOR THE OTHER SHOE TO DROP

There was a earnest two-month waiting period between the filming for The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency, our initial interview and Instinct cover shoot, and the episodes’ airdates and the street date of the magazine. Everything had to be kept strictly confidential and under wraps for two “long, painful months” as J.P. recalls them.

“It was two months of my life where I can’t remember sleeping. One night I’d be so happy and proud of myself, and think, I’m finally going to be so free. This is a good thing,” J.P. remembers. “And then the next night I’d be up pacing or crying and sweating and thinking, Why didn’t I just keep my fucking mouth shut?” And then he had to tell Grandma.

“My grandma is my saint. She is my angel,” J.P. says proudly. “So, of course, I waited until the last minute, because I was so nervous! But they dangled the carrot of my sexuality earlier than I thought they would [on the show].”

He points at me several times, saying, “You came on and they show you for like two weeks before our actual episode was going to air. Yeah, thanks, a lot, Mike,” he laughs, “You made me have to tell my grandma before I was ready!”

So J.P. called her...

No comments: